Pay a bill online....

In order to successfully create an online water account you must enter your bill information EXACTLY as it appears on your bill. This includes spaces, comas, middle initials, etc. If you do not know your account number or the name of the bill, call the Office of Water Billing at 716-871-8843

Please fill out our Online Water Bill Issues Form and clearly state your issue and someone will reach out to you shortly after.

Tax bills can be paid using our online payment portal

Unfortunately, partial tax payments CANNOT be made online. Partial Tax Payments (cash, check or charge card) can only be made Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM, in person in the Town Clerks Office. For more information, including forms of payments and associated fees, please refer to the Town Clerk’s web page and click on the Receiver of Taxes drop down listed under Services.

You may renew & pay for your dog license(s) online by using your MasterCard, Visa or Discover credit cards. You may also pay via Debit Card or Electronic Check. There is a $1.75 convenience fee added to allow for this online service. Every precaution has been taken to ensure that your online transactions are safe and secure.  All dog license information must be up to date (rabies and other vaccinations). For more information and associated fees, please refer to the Town Clerk’s web page and click on the Dog Licenses drop down listed under Licenses & Permits, scroll down to Renew Online.

Apply for a Vital Record...

All vital records are handled in the Town Clerk’s Office. Each record requires different proof of identification, for specifics please visit our Town Clerk’s webpage

Marriage Licenses can only be obtained by appointment by calling the Town Clerk’s Office @ (716) 877-8800. The Town charges a $40.00 fee for the license, which is valid for 60 days and cannot be issued within 24 hours of the ceremony. Each applicant must be present. For acceptable identification and documentation needed at the time of appointment please refer to the Town Clerk’s web page and click on the Marriage License drop down listed under Services.

Garbage and Recycling

The Town can only pick up FLAT SCREEN TV’s.  To learn how to dispose of an old tube-style TV, visit the Erie County website or the Sunnking website to find free Recycling Event Dates.

The Town will pick up concrete if the homeowner is doing a job.  If you hire a contractor, the contractor is responsible for the removal of all debris. 

Homeowner can stack manageable pieces (no more than 60 lbs./piece) of concrete next to their garbage tote on their regular garbage day.  The Town will get it that day or put it on a list and will get it as soon as we have a crew & equipment available. 

The Town will pick up old paint and spray paint on your regular garbage day every week.  Just make sure ALL lids are securely on and stack neatly next to your garbage tote BY 7 a.m.  A different truck picks up paint, electronics, appliances & metal.

Yes, the Town will pick up Refrigerators, however, the doors MUST be removed, per NYS Law.

The Town will pick up tree branches, shrubs, wood and lumber – they must be cut down and bundled (with heavy rope or twine) into bundles NO LONGER than 6’ and NO HEAVIER than 60 pounds.  Stack it next to your garbage tote and it will be picked up on your garbage day.

You have to bring old car tires for proper disposal to the Highway Department at 450 Woodward Avenue, Kenmore, NY 14217 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.  There is a small disposal fee per tire and $1 for each rim.  We accept cash or personal checks.  NO CREDIT CARDS.

Garbage and recycling days vary based on location, please click the link to view our interactive garbage and recycling map 

Youth, Parks and Recreation

The registration process for sports vary between each one. Some sports are ran by the YPR Department, while others are contracted through outside organization. For information on all offered sports, click here 

Tee times can be booked through our online tee time system, please be aware you are unable to reserve a tee time by phone

All our facilities can be reserved by using our online facility rental site or by calling the YPR Office at 716-831-1101 

The Senior Center is located at 291 Ensminger Road and is open to those 60 years old and older. Membership is only $17/year for Ken-Ton residents, while non-resident memberships are only $25. To join, call the Senior Center at 716-874-3266.


Call the Water Billing Dept. at 716-871-8843. They can start of stop service and make arrangements for a final bill and payments.

All plumbing connected to and including the meter is the homeowner’s responsibility. If there is a problem with the meter, call Water Billing to set up an appointment to have a technician to come out and service it.

Call the Water & Sewer Dept. at 716-874-0490, the line is monitored 24/7. We will check the Town’s Main to determine if it’s an issue with the Town or an internal plumbing problem.

Run the cold water only in the lowest part of their house, closest to the meter, until the water runs clear for a period of time.  If the problem persists, call Water Billing to set up an appointment to have a technician come out to your house.

The water shut off belongs to the homeowner. You can have a plumber come shut it off, or we have a key the homeowner can borrow with a $100 deposit and proof of ownership.

You’ll need a Certificate of Compliance after a dye test is done. Contact the Building Dept. at 716-877-8801.

An unusually high water bill can stem from several different things. Something you may think is minor, such as a running toilet or dripping faucet, can significantly raise your bill. A leaking outdoor spigot can also do it. If you have specific questions, contact the Office of Water Billing at 716-871-8843

General Issues / Complaints

To report an outage or damaged streetlight, please fill out our Outage Reporting Form. All other streetlight information can be found on our Streetlights page.

Sidewalk repairs are generally the responsibility of the home owner. However, the Town does bear responsibility if the damage stems from a water line or a tree root. More information, including the complaint form, can be found on our Sidewalks page.

No grass, weed, or plant growth should exceed 10 inches. Complaints can be sent to the Building Department, 877-8801. A Code Enforcement Officer will then notify the property owner, if the grass is not cut within 10 days of notice, fines may ensue.

All rodent control is handled at the Erie County level. For more information, visit their website.  You can deter rodents by eliminating possible food and water sources by keeping your grill clean, properly storing garbage and waste, and removing sitting water. You should also contact the Town’s Building Department (716)877-8801. A Code Enforcement Officer will be happy to look at your property to confirm the presence of rodents and help identify possible harborage or food sources.  Please be advised, the Town will not bait properties nor do we have authority to enter onto private property without the consent of the owner or occupant residing on that property. 

Housing and Building Questions

Please be aware that, under New York State Building Code, Section 307:  Open Burning and Recreational Fires, there are restrictions on the use of open burning.  Under the State Code, no recreational fire can be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material.  In addition, there is a prohibition for any open burning "that will be offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor emissions...".  Please be aware of these restrictions if you have a fire pit.

Under the International fire code, Sec. 308.1.4, Open flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies.  The only exception is that grills can be placed on balconies of 1 and 2 family dwellings only.

Yes. In order to sell your property you will need a certificate of compliance involving the storm water system. This process generally involves inspection of the sump pump system (including electric line to pump), footing drains, yard drains and downspouts. To schedule this inspection please call the Building Department at (716) 877-8801.

Permits are required for all new construction including: additions, structural work, pools both above ground and in-ground, storage sheds, roofing and siding, gazebos, decks and many other miscellaneous items. Any questions, please visit the Building Department page.

Unfortunately, permit documents and plans prior to 1965 were destroyed. For permit documents after 1965 please contact the Building Department office at (716) 877-8801.

Residential Rehabilitation Program - 0% Interest, Deferred Payment Loan Program. Low to moderate income homeowners in the Town of Tonawanda are eligible for the 0% interest, deferred payment loan program. This loan program provides qualified applicants with funding for needed housing repairs. Eligible work items include things such as your foundation wall, roof, siding, windows, heating system, and electrical system. The program may not be used for room additions or luxury items. The loan is secured on the property through a mortgage filed in the Erie County Clerk's Office. The loan does not have to be paid back until the homeowner passes away, property title transfers (house is sold or people are added/removed from deed), homeowner obtains a home equity loan or line of credit, homeowner refinances their mortgage for additional amount or if it ceases to be the homeowners’ principal residence. The Town of Tonawanda does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability, military status, the presence of children, sexual orientation, source of income, gender identification, or immigration and citizenship status in determining admission to the housing programs we administer.

For More Information & Details

Resident homeowners in the Town of Tonawanda, outside of the Village of Kenmore, who wish to participate in the 0% Interest, Deferred Payment Loan Program or would like further information should call Dawn Lisowski at (716) 871-8847 ext. 3 or send an Email. For more information about the program, click here:   pdf Residential Rehabilitation Flyer 2021 . For a printable flyer click here:   pdf 2021 Town of Tonawanda Home Repair Program .

First Time Homebuyer Program - 0% Interest, Deferred Payment Loan Program. The Town of Tonawanda, through the HOME Investment Partnership Program, is offering loans for first-time homebuyers with qualifying incomes to cover most closing costs associated with the purchase of their first home in the Town of Tonawanda (including the Village of Kenmore). These are long-term, deferred payment, interest-free loans. You need not make any payments toward the loan until your home is sold, transferred in title, refinanced mortgage while adding additional debt, obtain a home equity loan or line of credit, if the owner dies, or if the owners ceases to occupy the property as their principal residence.

For More Information & Details

For more information on the program please review the First-Time Homeowner   pdf Fact Sheet .   If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Kailee Van Brunt, Community Development Coordinator, at (716) 871-8847 ext. 2 or by email.

All owner occupied properties are eligible for the STAR exemption. For more information, visit the NYS STAR Resource Center. For more exemptions such as enhanced STAR, veterans, or income based exemptions, contact the Town Assessor’s Office at 716-877-8811 or visit the Assessors web page.

 Justice Court and Tickets

You will need to submit a plea in writing by the date on the letter that was sent to you. If you plead guilty, the Judges review your case and may set a fine or if you plead not guilty, we will schedule you for an appearance in court with the Town Prosecutor for when Court re- opens. As stated in the aforementioned letter, you can also request to handle this by mail by submitting your not guilty plea to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

If you were given a traffic violation that is a VTL 375, and you repaired the car, you need to have the auto repair shop complete the “Equipment Correction” form attached to the ticket.  Make sure the form is signed and dated by a registered mechanic.  If you completed the repair yourself, you can bring the repaired car to any police station and have an officer complete the form after looking at the car. You must then bring the ticket, with the completed correction form, to the court window within 5 calendar days from the offense date.

You need to enter a plea of “guilty” or “not guilty”, just like any traffic violation.  If you want the Town Prosecutor to review the “Equipment Correction” form that has been completed and it is past the 5 days, you can enter a plea of “not guilty” to the court.  A letter will be mailed to you with a court date, or you can enter a not guilty plea with the completed correction form directly to the Town Prosecutor at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

In New York State, all guilty pleas entered for an original traffic violation receive a surcharge, in addition to the fine the Judge sets for the violation


Small Business (Micro-Enterprise) Loan Program. Small business owners in the Town of Tonawanda (including the Village of Kenmore) may qualify for a low-interest business loan for the establishment, stabilization, or expansion of the business. Funds may be used for any justifiable business purpose including, but not limited to fixed assets, current assets including inventory and receivables, working capital, and refinancing of existing debt.

For More Information & Details

For more information on the program please review the Small Business Loan Program   pdf Fact Sheet .   If you have any questions, please contact Mr. James Hartz, Director of Community Development, at (716) 871-8847 ext. 1 or by email.

Email or call James Hartz, Director of Community Development at 871-8847, ext. 1. Jim or his staff will provide you the necessary application forms and guide you through the review process.