Form a Residential Electric Lighting District
How to Form a Residential Electric Lighting District
To form a residential electric lighting district, use the following steps:
- Citizens express their desire to form a lighting district in their neighborhood
- A neighborhood representative conducts a preliminary survey with materials provided by the town to determine if there is neighborhood interest in the project
- Should there be enough interest based on this survey, the Town Legal Department proceeds with a formal petition
- A 51% of assessed value majority is needed
- A public hearing is held by the Town Board
- A decision is then made whether to proceed or not
If the proposal passes, a “Consolidated Lighting District” item is added to your property tax bill that represents yearly energy and maintenance expenses. An approximate tax rate is $1.87 per $1,000 of assessed valuation.
The town then proceeds with National Grid
to design and complete the project. The location of the street lights to be installed will be determined at this stage.
For more information please contact the Technical Support Department at (716) 877-8805.