|Preserving Our Town's History
One of the oldest standing buildings in the Town of Tonawanda today is the home of the Town of Tonawanda and Village of Kenmore Historical Society on Knoche Road just east of Elmwood Avenue.
Built in 1849
The former St. Peter’s Church was erected in 1849 from bricks made of clay from the Ives Pond area. The bell for the steeple was presented to St. Peter’s by the Salem Church in 1934 in anticipation of the congregation’s 105th anniversary.
The Town of Tonawanda acquired the church and surrounding property in 1970. The Historical Society, revived in 1973, designed and built the displays inside the historical building and the grand opening celebration was held in 1976 as part of the town’s Bicentennial Year celebration.
Maintaining the Church's Theme
The front of the church sanctuary has maintained a church theme with the pulpit and pews. Original pewter communion service pieces and an old German Bible add to the atmosphere of the building. Changing displays attempt to educate visitors to the significance of such features of local life as farming, aviation, real estate and daily life of years past.
Researching the Past
A computer database, books, maps, photographs and news clippings are available for research. The newly renovated historical building is normally open Sundays from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
For more information or to join the Kenmore Town of Tonawanda Historical Society call (716) 873-5774.