Go To Search
Fishing Requirements
License Requirements
Everyone must have a valid fishing license in their possession while fishing, except:
  • Persons under 16 years of age
  • When fishing waters of the Marine District or from the Hudson River south of Troy Barrier Dam
    • A fishing license is required on the entire length of all Hudson River tributaries south of Troy Dam to Tappanzee Bridge, even if the tributary is subject to tidal flow
  • When fishing on licensed fishing preserves
  • Citizen-resident owners, lessees and citizen members of their immediate families occupying and cultivating farm lands, when fishing on their own lands
  • Active members of the U.S. armed forces who are New York State residents and are in the state for a maximum of 30 days (when fishing, such persons must carry their service identification cards and furlough papers)
  • Persons holding farm fish pond licenses and members of their immediate families, when fishing on waters covered by their licenses
  • Patients at U.S. Veterans Administration hospitals, Department of Mental Hygiene institutions and Department of Health rehabilitation hospitals and inmates at Division of Youth rehabilitation centers (a free permit is available from the New York Department of Environmental Conservation License Sales, Room 111, 50 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12233-4790)

Persons holding a fishing license or combination hunting and fishing license (including those entitled to fish without a license) may take fish by angling, spears, longbow, nets or traps where permitted by law or DEC.

Free Licenses
Free fishing licenses are available to citizen residents who are blind or who are members of the Shinnecock and Poospatuck tribes or the Six Nations residing on reservations in New York State. Free licenses must be obtained from issuing agents.

Computerized Fishing Licenses
Computerized fishing licenses may be purchased with a credit card by calling a special telephone number at (518) 457-8862.

Prior to making a call, applicants should have the following items ready:
  • Complete name and address information
  • Proof of residency information (driver's license number or non-driver's ID number)
  • MasterCard or Visa number and card expiration date

A Great Place to Live, Work, and Play
Find us onFacebookTwitter