St. Peter's German Cemetery
100 Knoche Rd.
Tonawanda, NY 14150 View Map
Search Local Cemeteries
Search our cemeteries
to find those buried in local cemeteries.
About the Cemetery - Photo Gallery
(The following is from Frederick S. Parkhurst, Town Historian in the early part of this century.)
One of the oldest cemeteries, one that bears the marks of quiet surroundings, a place where "Grey's Elegy in a Country Churchyard" might have been written, is located on the south side of Knoche Road between Delaware Avenue and Elmwood Avenue. The old brick church built in 1849 is surrounded with graves and the entire property enclosed with an iron fence.
Burials are still made here and probably will be for many years to come, as the grandchildren of the first settlers in the town reside on adjoining land. An earlier building stood on the site of the present structure in 1830 and burials were made about it at that time. The property contains about an acre of ground and is under the care of the trustees of the church.
One of the oldest graves is that of Martin Zimmerman who was born April 20, 1785 and died in 1847. Two soldiers lie buried here: "August Schinamann, Co. K 6th U. S. Cavalry," and "Wm. Kopf, 44 N. Y." each decorated with a flag. A boulder-bronze marker stands at the entrance of the church which is fully described in "History of the Town of Tonawanda 1805-1930," published by Local Historian, Frederick S. Parkhurst, Ph.D. It is sincerely to be hoped that the name "Knoche Road" will never be changed, for it honors the name of Philip B. and his wife Katherine, early settlers who lie buried here and were born in 1814.