North Bush Cemetery
Englewood Ave. and Belmont Ave.
Tonawanda, NY 14223 View Map
Search Local Cemeteries
Search our cemeteries
to find those buried in local cemeteries.
About the Cemetery
(The following is from Town Historian Frederick S. Parkhurst in the early part of this century.)
No records exist to show whether this burial ground was established before St. Christopher's
; but the probabilities are that the latter takes precedence. A full description of the founding by the Venerable John N. Neumann of "North Bush Chapel" and an illustration of the boulder-bronze marker is to be found in "History of the Town of Tonawanda 1805 - 1930" by Frederick S. Parkhurst, Local Historian, member of the New York State Historical Association, page 20. That the venerable prelate had a mission here when the town was organized in 1886 and previously is well known. Probably burials were made there in that early day, but the headstones - some in the German script have succumbed to the gnawing tooth of time.
The graves are located on the east and north side of the present church erected about 1850. When Highland Avenue was improved, skeletons were exhumed and buried in a common grave by the side of the church. One of the old gravestones in good condition is that of Frank Mang who was born in 1826. No burials are made here at this date. The church property is in excellent condition and has recent]y been beautified by the present incumbent, the Rev. Charles A. Klauder. The church is already becoming a shrine and is visited by tourists in large numbers.