Mount Olivet Cemetery
4000 Elmwood Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14217 View Map
About the Cemetery
(The following is from local historian Dr. Frederick S. Parkhurst's pamphlet, Cemeteries, Town of Tonawanda, New York, Publication No. 4, Tonawanda-Kenmore Historical Society, 1932.)
Mount Olivet Cemetery is situated on the west side of Delaware Avenue, just north of the junction of Delaware Road and Delaware Avenue and opposite Elmlawn Cemetery
. It was established in 1912 and originally contained twenty-eight acres. An additional tract extending west to Elmwood Avenue and Military Road was purchased later which more than doubles the acreage.
The grounds contain a beautiful elm grove, part of the original woods of the Knoche farm. A beautiful chapel was erected in 1931 at a cost of $32,000. Over 5,000 burials have been made since 1912. George R. Smith is the superintendent and was appointed in 1918. While there are many Roman Catholic cemeteries in Buffalo and vicinity, Mount Olivet being accessible easily by way of Delaware Avenue and located in a section of the town which will be thickly settled in years to come will attract lot owners by its well drained grounds and rural beauty.