Services provided to these officials and boards include, but are not limited to:
- Representing the Town Board, elected officials, town departments and employees in connection with the prosecution and/or defense of actions and proceedings brought by or against the town
- Conducting legal research and providing legal opinions on town-related issues
- Drafting legislation, local laws, regulations and policies for the town
- Examining and approving of title to all real property acquired by the town and preparing documents regarding the purchase and sale of town property
- Preparing and/or reviewing agreements, leases, licenses and easements affecting town-owned property
- Preparing and/or reviewing contracts for various vendors, including competitive bidding and professional service contracts
- Investigating all claims against the town and coordination of defense of claims by outside counsel retained through the town’s self-insurance program
- Preparing and/or reviewing of resolutions for Town Board meetings
- Counseling the Zoning Board of Appeals, Board of Ethics, Planning Board and SEQR Committee
- Attending Town Board meetings and work sessions and various committee meetings
- Prosecuting local law violations and/or citations, vehicle and traffic and penal law violations
About Mario A. Giacobbe
Mario A. Giacobbe, Esq. joined the Town of Tonawanda in July of 2006 as the Deputy Town Attorney and Town Prosecutor, a position he held until being named Town Attorney in January 2017.
Mr. Giacobbe has a wealth of experience in both the public and private sector. Before joining the Town of Tonawanda, Mr. Giacobbe served for twelve years as an Assistant District Attorney for the Erie County District Attorney's Office, prosecuting thousands of criminal cases in all State, County, City, Town and Village Courts. He served as Chief of the Erie County District Attorney's DWI Bureau for five years. As Chief of the DWI Bureau, Mr. Giacobbe was responsible for the supervision and prosecution of DWI felonies and was personally responsible for DWI fatalities, Serious Physical Injury Accidents and Hit and Run cases.
In addition to his work with the Town of Tonawanda, Mr. Giacobbe is also partner at The Law Offices of Jaworski & Giacobbe, a practice he’s been with since 2006.
Mr. Giacobbe received his Bachelor of Arts degree in English from Canisius College in 1988 and his Juris Doctor degree from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 1991. While attending law school, he studied International Business and Comparative Law in Rome, Italy through Loyola Law School. He is fluent in Italian.
Mr. Giacobbe is a member of the Bar Association of Erie County and has been a lecturer at Continuing Legal Education Seminars for attorneys and local law enforcement agencies in the area of DWI. He has received several distinguished awards while prosecuting DWI cases, including the MADD 2003 excellence in service award.
Helpful Numbers & Resources
|Erie County Bar Association Lawyer Referral and Information Service||(716) 852-3100|
|Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project Inc.||(716) 847-0662|
|Legal Aid of Buffalo Inc.||(716) 853-3087|
|Town of Tonawanda Justice Court||(716) 876-5536|
Pursuant to state law, the town attorney's office is ethically and legally prohibited from dispensing legal advice to private individuals. Residents seeking advice on private issues and conflicts must seek the advice of a private attorney.
Pursuant to state law, the Office of the Town Attorney is ethically and legally prohibited from dispensing legal advice to private individuals. Residents seeking advice on private issues and conflicts must seek the advice of a private attorney.
The Town Code may be accessed viewing the following link. Town Code.
All questions regarding traffic violations should be directed to the Town Court at (716) 876-5536.